General Conditions and Requirements
If you have not been enrolled at the University for a semester or more or if your enrollment was cancelled, you must formally apply for readmission to the College.
- See the College calendar for readmission deadlines.
- If you withdrew from the previous semester during the last ten class days immediately preceding the Final Examination period, you are not permitted to re-enter the College in the succeeding semester (see the College calendar for specific dates). If you withdrew prior to the last ten class days of the preceding semester, you may be eligible to apply for readmission.
- You must apply (see below) and subsequently be cleared by your academic dean, Student Financial Services, the Department of Student Health, the International Studies Office (international students only) and the Office of the Dean of Students.
- If you left UVA and transferred to another institution and now wish to return to UVA, you must apply for admission as a transfer student through the Office of Admission.
- You must resolve financial obligations before you can apply for readmission. Contact Student Financial Services [(434) 924-4265] with questions.
- Be sure your UVA email is working as the College sends all correspondence via e-mail.
How to Apply for Readmission
To apply, go to your SIS Student Center and use the eForm, Returning to the University.
NOTE: Virginia residents must also submit an Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges.
You will need to prepare the following information.
1. You will be required to write a statement about your readiness to return to the University and what you have been doing since you left. This statement should address the reason(s) you originally left the University, what you have done in the interim, and why you believe you are now prepared to return to study.
2. You will also be asked to submit an academic plan which must include a list of the classes you plan to take in the upcoming year. Your plan should also include the following, as relevant to your year:
Describe how you will:
- Finish your general education requirements.
- Declare or complete your major(s) and minor.
- Complete your degree on time in your remaining full-time semesters.
If you are in the 5th semester or beyond you must also submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 106 Monroe Hall.
You will be notified via your UVA email of the University's decision.
Additional Notes (Follow the Directions for all that are Relevant)
For 5th Semester or Later
- Students returning for their fifth semester or for a later semester must have their plan endorsed by a major advisor or the departmental undergraduate director.
- To be readmitted for a 5th semester, students must also have earned a minimum of 54 hours and submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 106 Monroe Hall.
- To be readmitted for a 7th semester, students must also have earned a minimum of 84 hours and submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 106 Monroe Hall.
After Medical Withdrawal
If you withdrew from the University for medical reasons you must have health clearance from the Department of Student Health, (434) 924-5362, before being readmitted. Your readmission application will not be considered until this is done.
If you left through a medical withdrawal please see:
Students in the 5th semester or beyond must also submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 106 Monroe Hall.
If You Are an International Student
International students on an F1 or J1 student visa must also contact the International Studies Office to determine their eligibility to re-enter the U.S. and resume their studies. They will need written clearance from the International Studies Office, Minor Hall, (434) 982-3010.