Transfer Student Newsletter: October 2017

Message from Dean Ozment

I hope that you are well settled into your courses and are beginning to feel at home in the University. In order to get to know you, I have e-mailed quite a number of of you over the last few weeks. But I'd like to get to know more of you. Therefore, if you have not already done so, please make an appointment to stop in for a visit. You do not need to have a problem or concern to come in. Please call 924-3350 or stop by 101 or 103 Monroe Hall to schedule a mutually convenient time.


Spring 2018 Course Selection

Advising for course selection for the spring semester will occur for College students from October 23 through November 3. Since conferring with an advisor is central to the selection of courses, only those College students who consult with their advisors will be able to participate in priority course selection for the spring.


Before your advising appointment, go to your SIS Student Center, access your "Academic Requirements" report from the drop-down menu, and print a copy to take to your meeting with your advisor. If you have forgotten your advisor's name, it will be on your SIS Student Center.

To Participate in Priority Spring Course Selection:

1) If you are a second-year student and have not yet declared a major, you will need to schedule an appointment to meet with your faculty advisor between October 23 and October 27 to discuss your academic plans and progress. Your advisor will release you for priority access to the SIS course enrollment system.

2) If you have declared a major, you should follow the instructions provided by your major department. In general, students need to make an appointment to see their major faculty advisor between October 23 and 27. If you are a third-year student who has not yet declared a major or completed a major deferral form, you should do so promptly. If you are unable to do so, please make an appointment to see Dean Ozment soon.

3) If you have officially DEFERRED declaring a major, you should meet again with the Undergraduate Director of the department or program in which you intend to declare for advice about spring courses. You may also meet with an alternate faculty advisor in your intended major, for instance, the professor of one of the major courses you are currently taking. Obtain a note saying that you have been advised and come to Monroe Hall to be released for priority course selection. Feel free to meet with me to discuss your plans.

Before meeting with your advisor, you should consult the online spring Schedule Of Classes -- available on SIS.

Many departments provide amplified course descriptions for the next semester. Check departmental offices or web sites for these helpful guides. As you consider courses for the spring, be sure to attend to any remaining area requirements. Do not delay fulfilling CLAS requirements, especially the First Writing and the Foreign Language requirements. Check the College area requirement web site.

While you must meet with your faculty advisor to participate in priority spring course selection, you should also feel free to confer with Dean Ozment. If you have questions about the process, feel free to e-mail or make an appointment to see Dean Ozment soon.   Call 924-3350 or stop by Monroe 101 or 103 should you wish to schedule an appointment.

Every year some new students discover that they have been blocked by Student Health for failing to submit a completed medical form or for not having the appropriate immunizations. Be sure to check SIS to see if you have a HOLD by Student Health. If so, contact them promptly (434-924-5362) so that you won't lose priority for spring course selection.

Finishing the Semester

The last half of the semester always flies by, and if you have gotten off to something less than your usual strong performance, you may be interested in the following.

1) The withdrawal deadline is Tuesday, October 17. If you wish to withdraw below 12 credits, you may do so after meeting with Dean Ozment. Reducing your course load below 12 credits will result in an Academic Probation.  You can read more about this College rule on the College's web site. (Reducing your course load below 12 credits does not necessarily affect financial aid. Contact Student Financial Services if you have questions.)

The College will NOT approve requests to withdraw from individual courses after Tuesday, October 17.

2) If you need additional help with your course work you should confer with your instructor. You may also try the following resources:

Looking Ahead

The University provides a range of other services in which new transfer students are often interested.

  • Study abroad. Contact the International Studies Office on the 2nd floor of Minor Hall. Most transfer students find that they can fit in a study abroad term. Dean Ozment will be glad to confer with you if you have questions about fitting in a term abroad.
  • Investigate the The Center for Undergraduate Excellence: The Center is located on the third floor of the new Harrison Library. Be sure to visit their web site to learn about their various scholarships and research programs.
  • Look into the Batten School's 5-Year Bachelors/Masters in Public Policy Program.
  • Visit University Career Services (UCS). UCS can help you with internships and externships resources, resume and cover letter critiques, interest and career-related assessments, interviewing assistance, networking, and much more. Feel free to stop by during walk-in hours or schedule an appointment. UCS is located in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium with a satelite office on the second floor on Monroe Hall.  Visit or call 924-8900 for more information.
  • If you are a second-year student, you should confer soon with the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the department(s) you are considering as a major. We ask you to declare your major before Spring Break. If you are having problems deciding which way to turn, let Dean Ozment know and she will be glad to work with you to help you make your decision.
  • If you are feeling stressed about making the transfer adjustment, consider calling the Smith Center for Counseling and Psychological Services at 243-5150. They have a number of support groups as well as individual counseling and are located in the Elson Student Health Building. Their services are confidential and free.

Also, besides offering a full menu of traditional services, the University of Virginia Library provides transfer students with access to the following resources and services:

  • Real-Time Reference; Got a question? Need help? Chat online with a librarian during the afternoons and evenings. This service is available anywhere, on or off grounds; just look for "Ask a Librarian" button on Library pages, or connect directly at (When the service is closed, send an e-mail to, and a librarian will respond to your query.).
  • Research Tutorials: Would you like personalized, in-depth help with a research project? Schedule a research tutorial to meet one-on-one with a librarian at
  • Digital Resources: The U.Va. Library has some of the finest digital resources available anywhere. Search databases and retrieve full-text articles from the comfort of your dorm room. Locate images of manuscripts, maps, and rare documents. Download e-books for Microsoft Reader or your Palm Pilot. Borrow a digital camera and use video-editing software in the Robertson Media Center ... and much, much more.
  • The Library has many other services and resources to offer you; check out the Library home page for more information or simply ask! They will be happy to help you.

Area Requirements

Clarification of Requirements:

One course (including cross-listed courses such as AAS 101 and HIAF 203) may simultaneously meet NO MORE THAN TWO AREA REQUIREMENTS. It may also satisfy the Second Writing Requirement and/or count toward a first major, second major, or minor. Be sure to check your records carefully and if you have any questions contact the College Registrar's Office (106 Monroe Hall, 924-8867) or Dean Ozment.

Remember that once you begin your studies here, you may NOT fulfill remaining area requirements with additional transfer credit. You must fulfill all remaining area requirements here at U.Va. The only exception is that students may complete the foreign language requirement by studying the language in a country where that language is native.

Useful Links

Getting More Help

Please feel free to call 924-4956 to arrange for a convenient time to discuss any questions you have with Dean Ozment. Alternatively, you may also visit Dean of the Day walk-in hours M-F from 2:30-4:00pm in Monroe Hall.

Final words from Dean Ozment

The next several weeks will be crucial for your success. The pace of the semester will continue to accelerate until exams arrive. It is more important than ever to stay current with your readings and other assignments. If you are having trouble, do not simply hope things will improve. You must act. You must speak with your instructor(s) and advisor promptly. You must seek out tutorial assistance, form study groups, and draw fully upon your own and the Univeristy's resources. And you must not hesitate to make an appointment to see me. You are all capable of succeeding here. If you are not pleased with your progress so far, now is the time to seek help and make changes.

I wish you well for the rest of the semester.