Echols Scholars have different degree requirements; click here for more information.
NOTE: Students are responsible for tracking their own progress toward the degree by using the SIS AR (Academic Requirements) Form. If you have questions about the form, please see your Association Dean in Monroe Hall. Questions about the major should be directed to your major advisor.
In order to earn a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BS) degree and graduate, all University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences students must:
- Earn 120 credits of course work in 8 semesters with an average of C or a grade point average of 2.000.
- Effective fall 2021, of the 120 credits required for the degree, no fewer than 108 credits must be from courses taught inside the College. (Student who matriculated before fall 2021 are bound to the earlier policy requiring at least 102 credits from inside the College.) See below for details.
- Complete a General Education Curriculum.
- General Education Curricular choices for students matriculating in Fall 2017 or later (note, Transfer Students automatically enroll in the Traditional Curriculum)
- General Education requirements for students who matriculated prior to Fall 2017
- Complete one major.
- The College does not award second degrees. Students who earned any type of baccalaureate degree at UVA or at another institution are not eligible to receive a second undergraduate degree from the College.
- Students must complete all requirements prior to graduation.
- All majors and minors must be completed prior to graduation; once you graduate you may not change your major or minor nor can you earn credit for a second major or minor.
- Graduates are no longer eligible to return to full-time study in the College of Arts & Sciences.
- All undergraduate students are limited to two majors. This means non-College students are restricted to one College major and/or one College minor.
- College of A&S students are limited to two minors; at least one must be from the College of Arts & Sciences.
- Once a student matriculates, all requirements must be filled at UVA with approved courses (one exception is study abroad at approved programs with deparment approval).
- College students may not enroll in any courses in the School of Continuing and Professional Studies.
- Students who transfer into the College from the BIS program may not count any BIS credits toward the College degree.
At the end of each semester the Association Deans check students' overall records to see if they are in Good Standing and making satisfactory progress toward a degree. Failure to do so may result in Academic Probation and ultimately suspension. See the complete information on Academic Standing.
The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only. The Undergraduate Record and Graduate Record represent the official repository for academic program requirements. These publications may be found here.