End of Semester Information for Students

December 2019

Please bookmark the College's website and the College directory, if you have not done so already. These two sites are the best places to initiate any inquiry about College rules and policies.

Direct specific questions to your Association Deans in Monroe Hall. You can make an appointment to see your Dean by calling 434-924-3351 or by visiting 101 Monroe Hall between 8 AM and 5 PM, Monday through Friday.

WITHDRAWING FROM A COURSE is no longer an option as the deadline passed. You now must finish your classes on time or pursue with the instructor the possibility of a Request for an Incomplete Grade. The link to the Incomplete Form also includes guidelines on whether you are a good candidate for an incomplete grade.

If you wish to withdraw from the semester, you may do so up until 5:00 PM on the last day of exams. Students who withdraw after November 15 must sit out the next semester. Students who choose to withdraw from the term must first meet with their Association Dean in Monroe Hall.

If you choose to withdraw from the semester, please read carefully the directions for readmission and note the deadline on the College's academic calendar.


You are expected to finish your classes on time. When this does not happen, you may (using the Request for an Incomplete Grade Form) request an incomplete grade from an instructor. Having received the endorsement of the instructor, you must return the form to Monroe Hall. All course requirements must be completed by the deadline listed on the College calendar. All incomplete grades automatically convert to an "F" 30 days after the end of the semester.

ANY OTHER ARRANGEMENT BETWEEN A STUDENT AND INSTRUCTOR IS UNAUTHORIZED. If the Association Dean does not receive a signed Incomplete Form, they will assume that the grade will be an F.


Final exams are to be given only at the time announced on the UREG web site. Under no circumstances may class time be used for the administration of final examinations, nor may examinations be given early. An instructor may, however, give the examination on a "take home" basis during the examination period. The deadline for requesting a postponement of an examination under certain circumstances (such as a congested examination schedule) can be found on the College's online calendar.

If you believe this policy is not being followed, please contact your Association Dean in Monroe Hall.


Please note that once a final grade has posted, you may NEVER do extra work to raise a grade. See the Grade Change Policy for more information.

Final grades must be submitted within 48 hours of the final exam. ALL final grades are due in SIS by December 19 at 5:00 PM.

Changing Grades

The only grade changes permitted are those that result from errors in computation or transcriptionExtra work to raise a grade, once submitted, is never permitted.

All grade changes require the approval of the Association Dean. The Dean is not authorized by the faculty to change a grade submitted to the University Registrar except when an instructor certifies that, because of errors in calculation or transcription, an incorrect grade has been submitted.

The College limits the time in which a grade change is approved to the fall or spring semester following the one in which the grade was posted, except when there is indication that the student violated the integrity of the course. Once the degree is conferred, no grade may be changed.

See Grade Changes for more information.