Declare a Minor

In addition to a major, students may choose a minor concentration in a second subject (or third subject if they are double majors). Not all departments and interdepartmental programs offer a minor.

Effective August 13, 2019 College students may have two minors. One minor must be in the College (both can be in College but both cannot be minors from other schools),

Students intending to minor must complete the appropriate forms in the department no later than the add period of their next to last semester in the College (normally the seventh semester). A copy of the minor form must be delivered to the Dean's Office in 138 Monroe Hall or emailed via [email protected]. Some departments may utilize the DocuSign Declaration of Major and Minor form. Please check the Declaration of Major/Minor Contact page and reach out to the listed contact to determine how to proceed. 

NOTE: BIS students are not permitted to have a major or a minor from the College.

Course Requirements

  • A minor consists of no fewer than 15 and no more than 24 credits of graded work in a program of studies approved by the sponsoring department.
  • Courses taken credit/no credit may not be included in the minor program.

For College of A&S Students:

  • Credits applied toward a minor may not also count toward completion of a major or a second minor.
  • Students who declared an interdisciplinary minor prior to fall 2019 may still share up to three courses with a major, when both departments or programs approve, unless they declare a second minor.
  • Students who add a second minor may not share any minor courses with a major, regardless of when they declared the first minor. 

Courses used to meet area requirements in the College and the Second Writing Requirement may simultaneously be offered in fulfillment of a minor, except that foreign language courses through level 2020, and 2120 for Portuguese, 2320 for French and 2060 for Chinese, may not be included as part of a minor.

Non-College Minors

Any student without a minor in the College may declare a minor in one of the other undergraduate schools in the University which allow College enrollment.  Students who declare a minor outside the College must keep in mind that courses taken in these schools count as non-College credits. For students who entered the University in fall 2021 or later, only 12 non-College credits may be applied toward the degree (i.e., at least 108 credits must be College of A&S credits); students who entered the University before fall 2021 may count 18 non-College credits toward the degree (i.e., at least 102 credits must be College of A&S credits). Check your AR form to see details. Note that some courses taken for the Urban and Environmental Planning minor in the School of Architecture may count as College-equivalent courses if students complete the minor.