General Conditions and Requirements
Students who have not been enrolled at the University for a semester or more or whose enrollment was cancelled must formally apply for readmission to the College. Click here to read about the difference between full-time and part-time status.
- See the College calendar for readmission deadlines. If you miss the deadline, you need to wait for the next term.
- If you withdrew from the previous semester during the last ten class days immediately preceding the Final Examination period, you are not permitted to re-enter the College in the succeeding semester (see the College calendar for specific dates). If you withdrew prior to the last ten class days of the preceding semester, you may be eligible to apply for readmission.
- Students who withdraw in consecutive terms (spring to fall or fall to spring) must sit out for one full academic year.
- You must clear all holds before you can apply for readmission. Holds may be placed by your academic dean, Student Financial Services, the Department of Student Health, the International Studies Office (international students only) and/or the Office of the Dean of Students.
- You must resolve all financial obligations before you can apply for readmission. Contact Student Financial Services [(434) 924-6000] with questions.
- If you left UVA and transferred to another institution and now wish to return to UVA, you must apply for admission as a transfer student through the Office of Admission.
- Students returning to a fifth semester or more must declare a major. Every department/program reserves the right to ask a student to repeat classes if the content is deemed outdated. Students will be bound to the requirements of the new declaration date.
- Be sure your UVA email is working as the College sends all correspondence via e-mail.
How to Apply for Readmission
To apply, go to your SIS Student Center and use the eForm, Returning to the University. All holds must be removed first.
NOTE: Virginia residents must also submit an Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges.
You will need to prepare the following information.
1. You will be required to write a statement about your readiness to return to the University and what you have been doing since you left. This statement should address the reason(s) you originally left the University, what you have done in the interim, and why you believe you are now prepared to return to study.
2. You will also be asked to submit an academic plan which must include a list of the classes you plan to take in the upcoming year. Your plan should also include the following, as relevant to your year:
Describe how you will:
- Finish your general education requirements.
- Declare or complete your major(s) and minor.
- Complete your degree on time in your remaining full-time semesters.
If you are in the 5th semester or beyond you must also submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 138 Monroe Hall.
You will be notified via your UVA email of the University's decision.
Additional Notes (Follow the Directions for all that are Relevant)
For 5th Semester or Later
- Students returning for their fifth semester or for a later semester must have their plan endorsed by a major advisor or the departmental undergraduate director.
- To be readmitted for a 5th semester, students must also have earned a minimum of 54 hours and submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 138 Monroe Hall.
- To be readmitted for a 7th semester, students must also have earned a minimum of 84 hours and submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 138 Monroe Hall.
Students may be asked to repeat classes if the department deems the contect to be outdated.
After a Medical Withdrawal
If you withdrew from the University for medical reasons you must have health clearance from the Department of Student Health, (434) 924-5362, before being readmitted. Your readmission application will not be considered until this is done. Students who withdraw in consecutive terms (spring to fall or fall to spring) must sit out for one full academic year.
If you left through a medical withdrawal please see:
Students in the 5th semester or beyond must also submit a signed Declaration of Major Form to the College Registrar in 138 Monroe Hall. Students who have been gone for an extended period of time may be asked to repeat classes since the content has changed. If the student cannot complete the requirements in the allocated time, the student will not be readmitted.
International students on an F1 or J1 student visa must also contact the International Studies Office to determine their eligibility to re-enter the U.S. and resume their studies. They will need written clearance from the International Studies Office, Minor Hall, (434) 982-3010.