Eligibility to Apply
To be eligible to apply to the College of Arts & Sciences, you must meet the following criteria. Admission is not guaranteed.
- Complete at least four (4) courses but no more than five courses at UVA in the BIS program prior to applying at the conclusion of the spring semester. You become ineligible for transfer to the College after you have completed more than five courses through BIS. SCPS AND BIS CREDITS DO NOT COUNT TOWARD THE COLLEGE DEGREE.
- You may not complete more than one full-time semester (equal to 12 or more credits) as a BIS/SCPS student.
- You may not earn any grade below C in your BIS/SCPS classes.
- You must earn a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000 in your BIS/SCPS classes.
- You must be able to declare a major or defer declaring a major (valid only in a fifth semester) in the College of Arts & Sciences prior to applying. A completed declaration of major form must be submitted with your application. If you do not have the necessary prerequisite classes, you may need to attend UVA summer session.
- You must complete a foreign/world language through the 1020 level (or by placing at least into the 2010 level) prior to submitting your application.
- Schedule a meeting with Dean Elizabeth Ozment (Association Dean for Transfer students; 434-924-3350) in Monroe Hall. Bring a copy of all prior transcripts, including a current transcript from BIS, and test credits to the meeting. Dean Ozment will assess your credit and provide a report to you that will be part of your application. The College may not accept all of your prior credit.
- NO BIS OR SCPS credits count toward a College degree.
- Meet with Dean Erin Eaker (434-924-3353) to discuss your academic goals, remaining requirements and plan for graduation.
- Of the 120 hours required for the BA degree in the College, you will have to complete a minimum of 60 UVA credits hours and two semesters of full-time study in residence in the College.
- You will be expected to complete the BA degree in the remaining prorated full-time semesters, as determined by the Association Dean for Transfer Students, or in Summer Session. You will normally not be granted a 9th full-time semester.
If you are eligible to apply and have met with Dean Ozment and Dean Eaker, please submit the following materials. All materials should be printed out (completed by hand as needed) and submitted to the College Registrar no later than 5 PM on June 1 (for fall admission) or December 15 (for spring).
- Discuss your plan with your academic advisor and BIS Director and request a letter of good standing from the Director. Submit the letter with your application.
- Submit the worksheet prepared by Dean Ozment, the Association Dean for Transfer Students.
- Complete the Intra-University Transfer Application.
- Based on your meeting with Dean Eaker, submit a statement describing your academic goals, remaining requirements and plan for graduation.
- Transcripts of all work done at other institutions and in the BIS/SCPS program.
- A record of all external test credit.
- A completed Declaration of Major Form (available from 101 Monroe Hall).
- A number of departments require that students be enrolled in the College before adding into College classes.
- Students who transfer at the end of the fall semester will be considered College students in early January of each year.
- Students who transfer at the end of the spring semester will be considered College students in late August of each year.
- Admission is not guaranteed.
- NO BIS OR SCPS credits count toward a degree from the College of A&S degree.
You should familiarize yourself with the College's academic policies, procedures, and contacts by consulting the following resources:
- Undergraduate Record (Registrar's web site)
- College Contacts
- Directors of Undergraduate Programs
- Declaration of Major/Minor