Students seeking to transfer into the College should be aware that a number of departments require that students must be in the College before adding into College classes. Students who transfer at the end of the fall semester will be considered College students in early January of each year. Students who transfer at the end of the spring semester will be considered College students in late August of each year.
To be admitted to the College, you must meet the following criteria:
- Complete at least four (4) courses (but no more than ten courses) at UVA in the BIS program prior to applying at the conclusion of the spring semester. You become ineligible for transfer to the College after you have completed more than ten courses through BIS.
- Earned no grade below C on the four courses you are required to complete within the first four consecutive semesters in BIS.
- Have a cumulative gpa of at least 2.0
- Have completed a foreign language through the 1020 level (or by placing at least into the 2010 level) prior to the application.
- Be in good standing in a College major with a GPA of at least 2.0 in the major. You should consult with the Director of the Undergraduate Major Program in the intended major department and complete a College Major Declaration form (available from the rack in 101 Monroe Hall.)
- Provide a plan of study based upon a re-evaluation of transfer credits by the Dean for Transfer Students in Monroe Hall. Your plan of study should include your academic goals, what you have accomplished in the BIS program, and what you hope to accomplish in the College.
Also keep in mind the following expectations of you after admission:
- Of the 120 hours required for the BA degree in the College, you will have to complete a minimum of 30 credits hours and two semesters of full-time study in residence in the College.
- You will be expected to complete the BA degree in the remaining prorated full-time semesters, as determined by the Dean for Transfer Students, or in Summer Session. You will normally not be granted a 9th full-time semester.
Prior to applying do the following:
- Discuss your plan with your academic advisor and BIS Director and request a letter of good standing from the Director.
- Meet with Dean for Transfer Students in Monroe Hall (924-3350). She will re-evaluate the transcripts of work you have done at other institutions prior to entering the BIS program. The transfer of all credits earned previously is not guaranteed.
A complete application will consist of the following:
- Intra-University Transfer Application, to be printed out, completed by hand, and together with all the required attachments, submitted to the College Registrar no later than 5 PM on June 1 (for Fall admission) or December 15 (for Spring)
- Intra-University Transfer Worksheet, to be printed out, completed by hand, and together with all the required attachments, submitted to the College Registrar no later than 5 PM on June 1 (for Fall admission) or December 15 (for Spring)
- A letter of readiness
- Transcripts of all work done at other institutions and in the BIS program.
- A record of AP credit awarded, where applicable
- A letter of good standing from the Director of BIS
- A plan of study
- A completed major declaration attesting to your being in good standing in a College major.
Planning Next Semester's Courses
First, consult the dean of your current school about your transfer plans. Then meet with the Dean of Transfer Students in Monroe Hall to decide:
- what College courses will fulfill College degree requirements;
- how the courses you have completed thus far will transfer to the College;
- if your courses have fulfilled any of the College's requirements and what remains to be fulfilled;
- how many hours you can expect to transfer to the College.
Additionally, you should familiarize yourself with the College's academic policies, procedures, and contacts by consulting the following resources: