New Transfer Student Guide: Declaring a Major/Minor

The guide for enrolled transfer students contains advice on requirements and deadlines which are critical to completing your degree on time.



All students must select a major no later than four semesters before graduation. If you are a rising third-year student, you will need to declare your major no later than the first week of the fall term. Should you not be ready to do so, please see Dean Ozment about a petition to defer your declaration until the end of your first semester here.

If you are a rising second-year student, you do not have to declare until mid-way through your second semester here.

Note that stating a major interest on your admission application does not constitute declaring a major.

For more information, see Majors & Minors

If you are interested in declaring Economics or one of the interdepartmental or interdisciplinary majors, such as Global Development Studies, you need to contact the Undergraduate Director as soon as you have been admitted to the College. Admission to these programs is competitive. Even with a timely application, many students who wish to declare such a major as their first choice will find that they will not be admitted to that major. Thus, it is always important to have an alternate major, especially if you are transferring as a third-year student.

You may choose to major in two subjects. However, third-year transfers interested in double-majoring will face very tight scheduling requirements and other challenges, especially if any College area requirements remain unfulfilled. Additional full-time semesters are not granted to complete double majors or a minor.

All courses in the major must be completed at this University unless a rare exception is made by the Undergraduate Director of your major department or program. Some departments may allow you to count a limited number of transfer credits toward the major, but until you have spoken with the Director of Undergraduate Programs in your major department, you should assume that you will do all major work here. You will not, however, be asked to repeat a course that you completed for credit elsewhere.

You may not count courses for the major if you take them on a credit/no credit basis. If you take courses here in a potential major subject before you declare your major, you may count them toward the major with departmental permission.

Dean Ozment will explain the major declaration process before the Fall term begins. First, however, you will need to go to your SIS "Student Center" and find the drop down menu under "Academics." Select and then click on "Academic Requirements." Once there, click "collapse all," then click on and expand only "College of Arts and Sciences General Requirements." (If you find no credits listed, we have not yet evaluated your transfer credit.) Print this or your "advising transcript" section so you can take it to your intended major department. An undergraduate advisor from the major department will explain the major requirements to you. When you complete the major declaration form, the department will assign you an advisor who will help you plan your major courses in the following semesters.

If you are a rising third-year student, do not delay the declaration of your major beyond the first week of classes in the fall unless you have filed a deferral with Dean Ozment to do so. Students who are interested in competitive application-based programs are not guaranteed entrance to those programs and must enter the university with an alternative major in mind.


In addition to a major, students may choose a minor concentration in a second subject. Not all departments or interdepartmental programs offer a minor. If you wish to minor in a particular subject, consult the Director of the Undergraduate Program in that department. 

Next: Building a Schedule