New Transfer Student Guide: Advising

The guide for enrolled transfer students contains advice on requirements and deadlines which are critical to completing your degree on time.


Note: Questions about housing, dining services, admission, and financial aid should be directed to the appropriate offices.


The Transfer Student Association Dean

We place transfer students in the Transfer Student Advising Association, headed by Assistant Dean Elizabeth Ozment. The Associate Dean for Academic Programs is responsible for overseeing educational programs and advising in the College. However, your Association Dean has primary responsibility for advising you on academic matters and she is your primary contact in the College of Arts & Sciences. She can refer you to various departments and offices at the University that exist to assist you. Dean Ozment will serve as your academic dean for the remainder of your years in the College. Do not hesitate to call on her at any time.

Contact Dean Ozment Monday–Friday by email,, or by phone, (434) 924-3351 to set up an appointment. Dean Ozment's office is 204 Monroe Hall. You may also direct questions to her by post at:

College of Arts and Sciences, 
P.O. Box 400133, 
University of Virginia, 
Charlottesville, VA. 22904-4133.

If during the summer you have specific questions that have not been answered after carefully reading this new transfer student information, you may contact Dean Ozment before you enroll in fall classes. If you wish, you may schedule an appointment during the summer by calling the number listed above.

If an urgent problem arises when Dean Ozment is not available, another Association Dean in Monroe Hall will be glad to help you. The College also has a Dean available each weekday afternoon in Monroe Hall for walk-in meetings (when classes are in session). Please see the College’s website for more information about walk-in academic advising with the Dean of the Day.  No appointment is necessary.

Other Sources of Advising

Directors of Undergraduate Programs

Students ready to declare a major should contact the Director of the Undergraduate Program. The Program Directors are also excellent resources for students who are not yet ready to declare a major but who have questions about program requirements or areas of study.


If you are a second-year student, we will assign your faculty advisor prior to the beginning of fall classes. Your advisor's name will be listed on your SIS Student Center. You should arrange to meet with your advisor during the week of August 20. If you are a third-year student, your major department will assign a faculty advisor to you when you declare a major. Also note that the instructors in your courses will prove another excellent resource. Get to know them and be sure they know you.

Transfer Student Peer Advisors

The Transfer Student Peer Advisor (TSPA) Program pairs current upper-class students with new transfer students to help students socially adjust to their new environment. Your TSPA will contact you during the summer prior to enrollment and throughout the academic year. Be sure to make use of this great source of peer advice about the social transition to our university.

Next: FAQ's