New first-year and transfer students interested in the College of Arts & Sciences apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admission.

Students who are accepted and wish to defer must make that request to the Office of Admission by their deadline.

  • NOTE: Students who defer may (1) not matriculate at another college or university or they will forfeit admission; (2) may bring in no more than 6 credits PER semester; (3) are not guaranteed the College of A&S will accept the credit earned; (4) may not complete most requirements at another school.

Visit the Undergraduate Admission web site to complete an application, view the prospectus, and get facts about the University of Virginia and the admissions process.

Apply using the Common Application for both first-year and transfer admission. The Common App and UVA Supplement to the Common App are available on July 1st.

Quick Links Relating to Admission

Students interested in Education, Commerce or the Batten School for Leadership and Public Policy apply for these schools after one or two years in the College of Arts & Sciences. See school web sites for details.

Transfer to the College from outside of UVA

Admission as a transfer student
You must apply to the University of Virginia Office of Admission and submit your official final transcript from every previous college or university. To expedite this process, request from your school's Registrar to send your transcript as soon as possible after your final grades are recorded.

Students who have at any time completed three or more years of study at another four-year college or university are not eligible for transfer admission to the College of Arts & Sciences.


Transfer to the College from Another UVA School

To be admitted to the College, you must meet the criteria and follow the application procedure established for students transferring from your current University of Virginia school of enrollment.

The complete application consists of two parts: both must be printed out, completed by hand, and together with all the required documents, submitted to 101 Monroe Hall no later than 5 PM, December 15 or June 1.

Transfer from another UVA School ie. Architecture, Education, Engineering, Commerce, and Nursing

Transfer from the BIS program (UVA Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies)

If you don’t plan correctly, you may find that you need either an extra semester, year, or summer school to complete your degree in a professional school. Extra academic time is not automatic and is difficult to obtain, and summer school may be inconvenient. If you have questions, contact the school directly.

Return to the College

Within the same semester

Students who have transferred from the College to another school at the University but wish to reverse the process and return to the College in the same semester, before beginning classes in the other school, must apply to transfer by the Friday after final registration or the second Friday of the semester. The application is available in 101 Monroe Hall.

After one semester

A student who completes one or more semesters in another school of the University and then wishes to return to the College must apply as an Intra-University Transfer student and follow the admission requirements above.