Skip to main content Skip to site index menu

Key Steps

  1. You must submit a Transfer Credit Request form before you enroll in classes at another school.

  2. Use the Transfer Credit Request – Major or Minor form to request approval for courses for a major or minor that you have already declared. All other domestic transfer credit should be requested using the “Transfer Credit Request – Elective” form.

  3. Use the Transfer Credit Request – Elective form to request approval for any courses that are not for a major or minor that you have already declared.

  4. Once you complete the approved course/s, you must request an official transcript to be sent directly to the UVA College of Arts & Sciences.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find transferable courses?

Check the online Transfer Credit Database. If a course you want to take is not listed in the database, it has not yet been evaluated for equivalency. You will request evaluation when you submit your Transfer Credit Request form.

Can I transfer credit for general education requirements?

No. Once you start your first semester at UVA, you must complete any remaining general education requirements with UVA coursework. The only exception is for world languages taken in certain approved study abroad programs.

I’ve finished my courses. How do I get my credit transferred to UVA?

You must have an official transcript sent directly to the UVA College of Arts & Sciences (not UVA Admissions) or to [email protected]. We cannot accept transcripts emailed by students. Electronic transcripts are preferred, but if necessary paper transcripts may be sent to: Transfer Credit Evaluator, P. O. Box 400133, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4133.

When will my credit be posted to my UVA record?

During peak period (July – September), processing time is typically two weeks. At other times credit is usually posted within one week.

How do I get credit for courses or exams I took before I came to UVA?

Check out this page for more information.

I still have questions.

Find out more about transferring credit at Transfer Credit Policies and FAQs.



For assistance with domestic transfer credit, please email [email protected] or call 434-924-8880.

Not in the College? Contact your school's registrar.

Last updated: June 4, 2024
Suggest an edit to this page.