Skip to main content

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! Please refer to the University’s Major Events website for detailed information about the graduation ceremony and related events.


  • Apply for graduation in SIS. View instructions as a PDF.
  • Check your "primary name" and "diploma address" in SIS. For help changing your diploma address, see the SIS Help website. To correct your primary name, contact UREG.
  • Check your Academic Requirements Report in SIS to make sure you will complete all degree requirements by your target graduation date. Please note that this is your responsibility.  
    • All College of Arts & Sciences General Education Requirements, Graduation Requirements, and Major Requirements must show "Satisfied" on your report in order for your degree to be conferred. If you have questions or problems with the General Education or Graduation Requirements, please see staff in 138 Monroe Hall for assistance and corrections. If the Major and/or Minor requirements do not show "Satisfied" on your Academic Requirements report, please see your Major Advisor or the department secretary for assistance and corrections. 
    • May graduates only: Order a cap and gown. If you choose, order and send announcements. 


May Graduates (Spring)

The window for applying for May graduation opens on November 1. The College's deadline to apply for fall graduation is early December. You will be sent an email with the date in the year you plan to graduate. If you miss the deadline to apply for May graduation, you will need to pay a fee to register for summer under "Degree in Absentia" status. 

Your degree will be conferred in August but you may be eligible to participate in the May graduation ceremony (see below). Otherwise, you will be eligible to participate in graduation in the following May.

August Graduates (Summer)

You must apply for graduation in SIS by July 1. If you miss the deadline to apply for August graduation, you will need to pay a fee to register for the Fall semester under "Degree in Absentia" status. Your degree will be conferred in January and you will be eligible to participate in graduation exercises the following May.

January Graduates (Fall)

You must apply for graduation in SIS by October 1. If you miss the deadline to apply for January graduation, you will need to pay a fee to register for the Spring semester under "Degree in Absentia" status. Your degree will be conferred in May and you will be eligible to participate in May graduation exercises.


To receive a diploma from the University, students must achieve a minimum grade point average of 2.0 in courses required for graduation and meet all degree requirements. All students receive the diploma through the mail - be sure your diploma address is correct in SIS.

Requirements to receive a diploma:

  • Students must be registered at the University during the semester in which they receive the degree. Those carrying no courses must register as non-residents and pay the affiliated degree fee.
  • Students must achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 in required courses and complete all degree requirements.
  • Students may earn only one undergraduate degree.
  • Diplomas for all graduates (May, August and December) are mailed to students approximately 6 weeks after grades have been posted. Be sure your diploma mailing address is correct.
  • The University reserves the right to withhold the diplomas of financially delinquent students or when students have engaged in Standards of Conduct violations at or prior to graduation ceremonies. The University also reserves the right to revoke diplomas previously conferred when the student has not satisfied the rules and regulations of the University.

Participation in Final Exercises

The University conducts a graduation ceremony each May to recognize and honor those students who have completed all degree requirements during the previous academic year. 

Students who graduate at the end of the summer or fall semesters are invited to fully participate in the May ceremony the year following their graduation, at which time their names will appear in the program. Students who have an expected graduation term of August posted in SIS by April 30 are eligible to participate in a limited fashion in the May ceremony prior to their graduation. August graduates can receive tickets and regalia, and can participate in the Final Exercises ceremony on the Lawn; however, their names will not appear in the graduation program, and eligibility to participate in departmental ceremonies is determined by each department. See the Major Events webpage for more information. 

Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program in the semester in which they expect to receive a degree. Degree candidates who do not enroll for credits must pay the affiliated degree fee. Contact the College Registrar for information on affiliated status. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I miss the deadline for May graduation?

If you miss the deadline you can file for August graduation. Contact the College Registrar

What if I meet the requirements for two or more degrees?

You can earn only one degree. Completed requirements for more than one program are awarded as a double major. (This notation is placed on the transcript but not on the diploma.)

What if my Academic Requirements report lists my major courses incorrectly?

See your major advisor immediately to get your Academic Requirements Form corrected.

What if I have questions about graduation?

The staff in the College Registrar's Office, 138 Monroe Hall, are happy to assist you with any questions you may have about graduation. You may also email [email protected]. Questions about major or minor requirements should, however, be directed to the relevant department.

Will I be notified that everything is okay?

You will not be notified if everything is okay; you will only hear from us if there is a problem with your requirements. You can assume that "no news is good news". However, if you are anxious to verify that everything is okay, you may contact the College Registrar's Office after the add/drop deadline. We continue to audit your record after the degree process ends on February 1.

If I am in a Distinguished Majors program will I receive my diploma on graduation day?

No, like all students, you will receive a blank diploma. The actual level of distinction that you receive in your program will be printed on your diploma, and that cannot be done until levels of distinction are reported at the very end of the Spring semester. Your official diploma will be mailed to you later in the summer.

Are my majors listed on my diploma?

Students who earn the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree do not have their majors listed on the diploma. Only students who complete the Bachelor of Science (B.S.) will have their majors listed on the diploma.

Lost or Damaged Diplomas?

For information, go to the Office of the University Registrar.

Notes for Students with Two Majors

All second majors and minors must be declared by the add deadline of the semester in which you plan to graduate.

The College does not switch first and second majors except when: (1) a student has two majors and is dropping the first major, or (2) a student is declaring a BS program as a second major program.

It does not matter which major is listed as your first major and which major is listed as your second major unless you are earning a BS degree. The major in which you are earning a BS will always be listed first.

You cannot earn both a BA and a BS degree.

If you have two majors you may attend either diploma ceremony; you may attend both ceremonies if the times do not conflict.

Last updated: May 31, 2024
Suggest an edit to this page.