Skip to main content

The College strives to apply the policies of the College Faculty fairly and equitably. However, students may appeal the application of a College policy when they believe it has been misapplied or when there are extenuating circumstances. Only students may submit appeals. Appeals must be made in a timely manner—within one semester or earlier in some cases. Students should consult with their Advising Dean for more information.

Course Enrollment Deadlines

Students who wish to appeal penalties attached to missed Add, Drop and other enrollment deadlines should contact their Advising Dean for instructions.

Grading and Classroom Issues

Grade appeals may only relate to the process of how the final grade was computed and not the quality of a student’s work. Appeals of the grading process may result in a lower grade being awarded.

Students who wish to appeal a grade or other classroom issue must first attempt to resolve the issue with the instructor of the course. Absent a satisfactory outcome, the student may appeal to the relevant department chair or program director.

If this path proves unsuccessful in the resolution of the matter, the student may appeal to a committee of Associate Deans in the College of Arts & Sciences. 

The written appeal should be addressed to the Committee on Final Grade Appeals and can be dropped off at the College of Arts & Sciences Advising Office in 101 Monroe Hall or sent to [email protected].

Students have one term beyond when a grade posted to submit an appeal. The appeal of a grade from a course offered during a student's final term before graduation must be appealed before graduation.

Please submit your appeal only after you have tried to resolve the situation with the instructor and the department chair.

Appealing College Rules

Students whose petitions for exemption from College rules have been denied by the advising deans may appeal to the Committee on Faculty Rules (CFR) when they believe there has been a procedural anomaly. CFR consists of faculty members who are not advising deans.

Students must consult with their advising dean on what information is needed to appeal further. All materials for a CFR appeal should go directly to the advising dean who will submit the appeal.

Last updated: May 31, 2024
Suggest an edit to this page.