Small Research and Travel Grants
Small Research and Travel Grants are for students conducting research, engaging in artistic activities, or presenting their own research at professional conferences. Click here for information on College of A&S Grants and Scholarships.
Students must be in Good Academic Standing and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.000. The amount of these awards varies each cycle but is typically capped at $1,500. Grant proposals are accepted on a seasonal basis with two annual deadlines: November 1 and March 15.
Applications for small grants must be uploaded into the appropriate UVA Collab site no later than 4:00 pm of the cycle deadline date.
Apply using the Small Research and Travel Grant Application, located At UVa Collab (Domestic Collab site; Study Abroad Collab site). Detailed instructions for completing and submitting the application are within the application document.
- Join the appropriate Small Grant site at UVA Collab (http://collab.itc.virginia.edu/portal) for the current award cycle.
- Every grant application MUST include detailed and itemized budget. Applicants MUST use the CLAS Grant Budget Template and the application form.
- If your project involves travel abroad, you must start the ISO (http://iso.virginia.edu/) clearance process BEFORE you submit your application and you must have final ISO travel clearance before grant award funds may be distributed to you.
We have some suggestions for you if you are planning to apply! The key to a successful grant application really does involve following the instructions perfectly. In particular, we have a few specific things we want to mention:
- If you are seeking funds to travel to a conference to deliver a conference presentation, INCLUDE your conference presentation acceptance notice with your application. If you have not been accepted at the the application cycle deadline, simply wait until the next cycle in the fall. If your presentation has not yet been accepted, it will not receive funding.
- BUDGET--Please do a detailed budget that has clear itemization. If you are requesting funds for air travel, include a dated price quote directly from 2 different airlines. You must use the UVA state per diem rate (NOT the federal one) for daily expenses. Use public transportation whenever available. If your project requires more than $1,500 in funds (that's the maximum the Small Grants give out to any project), detail the entire budget and then highlight which items you expect the Small Grant to cover.
- Letters of Support for the project. These ARE NOT recommendation letters, they are not endorsements of you as a student. They need to come from UVA faculty who have specific knowledge of your project AND who have a background relevant to the project.
- Group Projects--if more than one student is participating in a research project Small Grant ask, each student must submit a separate Small Grant.
Incomplete applications or applications that do not follow submission guidelines will NOT be considered.
To join a Small Grant site, log in to Collab, go to My Workspace. From the menubar, click on Membership. Next, click Joinable Sites to see a list of all the available sites you have not joined. Enter search terms (name of Collab site) in the Search box, click Search. Finally, click Join to join the appropriate site. After you click Join, you will get the following message: "There are no joinable sites matching your search of 'search term'," where "search term" represents the search term(s) you entered. However, you will see the site you just joined if you click -more- at the top of the page.
As you prepare your application materials, do not hesitate to ask questions. Contact Sean Reed. He will find answers to your questions--better to ask in advance.”