How to clear holds
For fall 2016:
Students may not late register and enroll in classes after October 7. The deadline in the spring will be the College's add deadline.
Check your Student Center to see if you have a hold and to see which office has placed this hold on your enrollment. Holds can be placed by:
- The International Studies Office;
- Student Financial Services, for unmet financial obligations or failure to have completed loan paperwork;
- Student Health, for incomplete health records or missing proof of insurance coverage;
- The College Deans' office, for various academic reasons;
- The Dean of Students;
- The Office of Undergraduate Admission, for missing application data.
1. If you have a hold the waitlist system will NOT add you to a class (it will pass you by maintaining your space on the list).
2. If adding you to a waitlisted class will result in your being in more than 17 credits you must identify a class section to swap. If you do not identify a class section to swap, you will be bypassed.
Regular enrollment period: Make sure to check the calendar to find out when advising for the next semester begins, and when SIS opens.
If you have a hold of any kind you will be unable to enroll in classes. If this hold is in place on the first Friday of the fall or spring semester, you will be disenrolled and dropped from all your classes. As applicable, your University of Virginia ID card will be deactivated, and UVA Housing, UVA Dining, Cavalier Advantage and all other student privileges will be unavailable.
What to do if you are denied enrollment
- If you are denied enrollment in a course because it requires the instructor's permission, you will be directed to add your name to an electronic permission list. (If you are not directed to do so, you must contact the instructor directly.)
- If you are denied enrollment because a course is waitlisted, you will be directed to add your name to a waitlist. Students will be added to a class on a first-come, first-served basis as space becomes available. You will be notified via e-mail if you are placed into a waitlisted class.
- If you are denied enrollment because of a hold, see the directions above.