New Transfer Student Guide: Policies and Procedures


Note: The Undergraduate Record is the primary resource for all college and university rules.

The guide for enrolled transfer students contains advice on requirements and deadlines which are critical to completing your degree on time.

New Transfer Student Guide


Course Load

Students entering as second-year transfers are expected to complete their degrees in six semesters, students entering as fourth-semester transfers in five semesters, and students entering as third-year transfers in four semesters. Summer Session is not counted in your allotted full-time semesters. The number of full-time semesters you are allotted will be noted in a personalized e-letter that you will be able to access after we have completed your transfer credit evaluation. Permission to enroll for an additional full-time semester is not automatic. You should not assume that you will have more than the usual number of full-time allotted semesters.

In order to graduate on schedule, you must carry an average of 15 credit-hours for each of your semesters here, unless you enter with more than 30 credit-hours as a second-year transfer, or with more than 45 credits as a fourth-semester student, or unless you enroll in summer school to earn additional credits.

If you think you will need an extra full-time semester, you should meet with your dean as soon as possible. You must always carry at least 12 credits, and, if you attempt more than 17 (recommended only in rare cases and never in the first semester), you must have special permission from your dean. In the event of illness, as certified by the Department of Student Health, or if financial exigencies require you to work more than 15 - 20 hours per week in order to support your education, your dean may allow you to adjust your schedule to fewer than 12 credits. Students who fail to earn the minimum number of credit-hours will be placed on Academic Probation. If you fall behind in credits, you will be required to make up the deficit in summer school.

You may take up to 18 credit-hours in other undergraduate schools of this University as part of the 120 required for the degree. Such "non-College" courses transferred from your former school are noted on your SIS evaluation. If you take more than 120 credits for the degree, correspondingly more may be taken outside the College.

Verifying Your Enrollments

Once the semester has started, you may change your courses, subject to the following conditions and deadlines:

  • All course verifications and changes (except adding and dropping with a Course Action form) are made by using SIS.
  • Courses may be added until Wednesday, February 3. If you are adding into a class via a Course Action Form, check with the department or in 101 Monroe Hall to determine where you should submit the form (most are turned in to departments, some are submitted to staff in 101 Monroe Hall).
  • Courses may be dropped, with no notation on your permanent record, until Thursday, February 4. The instructor’s permission is not required to drop a course, but it is courteous to inform them so that they may keep their class rolls up to date. If dropping a class takes you below the minimum load of 12 credits, you will need the approval of your Association Dean.
  • You may withdraw from a course until Wednesday, March 16. The instructor’s permission is not needed to withdraw from a class, but you cannot drop below 12 credits without the permission of your dean. The W grade is noted on your permanent record.
  • Requests to drop or withdraw after the deadline will not be approved.
  • Students who earn fewer than 12 credits in a semester for any reason are placed on Academic Probation.

Always bear in mind the 12-credit minimum course load when changing your schedule. If you wish to take fewer than 12 credits, you must meet with your dean to discuss.

The College strictly enforces the deadlines for adding, dropping, and withdrawing from classes.

Transfer Credit After Matriculation

After you register at U.Va., you may take academic courses at another institution that count towards your degree provided you have not already transferred the maximum 60 credit-hours. If you wish to take courses elsewhere for transfer here, you must have the permission of the Dean and the appropriate departmental representative. Transfer of Credit permission forms are available in the Office of the Dean. Permission is not granted unless you have a 2.0 U.Va. grade point average; a 2.5 cumulative U.Va. GPA is required for study abroad. Please note that once you enroll at U.Va., all area requirements must be completed in the College, not by additional transfer credit.

Subject to these restrictions, courses completed elsewhere with a grade of C or better are transferred toward your degree; the grades are not computed in your grade point average, nor are they recorded on your transcript. This rule applies to courses completed both before and after transfer.

Students may not receive more, and may receive fewer, than the number of credits earned at the host institutions.

Good Standing, Academic Probation and Suspension

Full-time students maintain a status of Good Standing if, at the end of a semester, they complete at least 12 credits of graded work with at least a 1.80 semester average and with no more than one grade below C-. Students who fail to remain in Good Standing will be placed on Academic Probation and the cause will be noted on their transcripts. Students on Academic Probation must meet with their Association Dean to obtain permission to enroll for the next semester. They are strongly urged to devote more time to their academic work.

Students placed on Academic Probation for two consecutive semesters will be suspended. Furthermore, a student who earns fewer than nine GRADE POINTS in a regular semester is also subject to suspension, either at mid-year or the end of the school year. One full fall term and one full spring term must elapse before suspended students may return to the College. The Dean's Office will consider applications for readmission when the student presents evidence that the difficulties that led to suspension have been overcome.

In order to enroll for a fifth semester you must earn at least 54 credit-hours; to enroll for a seventh semester, you must earn at least 84 credit-hours. If you fail to earn sufficient credits, your enrollment will be blocked. We require students who fall behind in the number of credit-hours to make up their work in the Summer Session, in January term, or through part-time enrollment.

To remain in Good Standing, students who have completed four semesters of work must be in a major or have obtained written permission from their Association Dean to defer declaring a major until the end of their fifth semester. Students who fail to declare a major by the beginning of their fifth semester will be blocked and will lose enrollment priority for sixth semester courses. No student may enroll for a sixth semester without a major.

Requests for Exception to the Rules

With over 11,000 students enrolled in the College, we must, of necessity, have this detailed and formal set of academic regulations, but situations inevitably arise in which exceptions to certain rules are considered. If you need to request an exception to a rule due to seriously mitigating circumstances, you should consult with your Association Dean as soon as possible. Your Dean will advise you as to how to write your petition; petition forms are available from College staff in Monroe Hall. Adverse decisions by the Dean may be appealed to the Committee on Faculty Rules – a committee of faculty members who are not deans. Bear in mind that you always have the right to petition about academic matters throughout your career here.

Next: Advising