New Transfer Student Guide: Evaluation of Transfer Credit

The guide for enrolled transfer students contains advice on requirements and deadlines which are critical to completing your degree on time.

New Transfer Student Guide



Submitting Your Transcript

We cannot finalize your transfer credit evaluation until we receive your deposit and your final transcript with last semester's grades. You should be sure to expedite the process by requesting that your current school's registrar send your transcript to the College of Arts and Sciences as soon as possible after final grades are recorded. Have your final transcript sent to the attention of Erin O'Donnell, P.O. Box 400133, Charlottesville, Va 22904-4133.

Credit Evaluation Process

In general, we accept transfer credit for any course that is comparable to one that we offer in the College of Arts and Sciences and in which you have earned a grade of C or better. The credit awarded will be no more (and may be less) than the amount given by the sending school (in the case of institutions using a quarter system, three quarter-hours equal two semester-hours). The College transfers credits only, not grades or grade-points. For more information on the College's Transfer Credit policy see our Transfer Credit page.

Once the Admission Office has received and posted your deposit, you will be able to access SIS and, when available, your official course evaluation. As soon as we evaluate your transcript, we will notify you that we have posted your credit on SIS (see below for directions on checking your credit).

If you are a second-year student, we will post the name of your Faculty Advisor on your SIS Student Center. You will need to contact your advisor to arrange for a mutually convenient time to confer. Your meeting should be no later than the end of the first week of spring semester classes. Please note that if you fail to confer with your advisor, we will prevent you from accessing SIS to add or drop classes.

If you are a third-year student, you will be assigned an advisor by the major department when you declare a major during Orientation in January. If you are a third-year and are unable to declare a major by February 1, you will need to confer with your dean and complete a petition to defer declaring your major. Major deferral forms are available in Monroe Hall.

We may add to or correct your transfer of credit evaluation as we receive new information. Rather than contacting the dean's office about this, please check SIS. Your record may change as we receive updated transcripts, AP or IB scores, or other non-U.Va. credit.

If you believe we have made an error evaluating your transfer credit, you may request a review. To do this, bring a detailed description of the courses in question to Erin O'Donnell, College Transfer Credit Evaluator. Contact Ms. O'Donnell at or visit Monroe Hall 201C.

Next: Declaring a Major/Minor