New Transfer Student Guide: Advising

The guide for enrolled transfer students contains advice on requirements and deadlines which are critical to completing your degree on time.

New Transfer Student Guide

Note: Questions about orientation, housing, dining services, admission, and financial aid should be directed to the appropriate offices below.


The Transfer Student Association Dean

We place transfer students in the Transfer Student Advising Association, headed this spring by Assistant Dean Elizabeth Ozment. The Associate Dean for Academic Programs, is responsible for overseeing educational programs and advising in the College. However, your Association Dean, has primary responsibility for advising you on academic matters. Your dean can refer you to various departments and offices at the University that exist to assist you. Dean Ozment will serve as your academic dean for the remainder of your years in the College. Do not hesitate to call on her at any time.

Contact Dean Ozment Monday–Friday by e-mail,, or by phone, (434) 924-3350 to set up an appointment. Dean Ozment's office is 204 Monroe Hall. You may also direct questions to her by post at:

College of Arts and Sciences, 
P.O. Box 400133, 
University of Virginia, 
Charlottesville, VA. 22904-4133.

If you have specific questions that have not been answered after carefully reading this new transfer student information, you may contact Ms. Ozment. If you wish, you may schedule an appointment by calling the number listed above.

During the spring, if an urgent problem arises when Ms. Ozment is not available, another Association Dean in Monroe Hall will be glad to help you. The College also has a Dean of the Day on duty in Monroe Hall. The Dean of the Day is available for walk-in meetings each afternoon during the academic year.  No appointment is necessary.

Other Sources of Advising

Directors of Undergraduate Programs

Students ready to declare a major who need specific information about a program should contact the Director of the Undergraduate Program.The Program Directors are also excellent resources for students who are not yet ready to declare a major but who have questions about program requirements or areas of study.


If you are a second-year student, we will assign your faculty advisor prior to orientation. Be sure to arrange to meet with your facutly advisor during the first week of the semester. If you are a third-year student, your major department will assign a faculty advisor to you when you declare a major during Orientation. Also note that the instructors in your courses will prove another excellent resource. Get to know them and be sure they know you.

Transfer Student Peer Advisors

The Transfer Student Peer Advisor (TSPA) Program pairs current upperclass students with new transfer students. Your TSPA will contact you prior to enrollment, and will keep in touch with you throughout your first term. Be sure to make use of this great source of peer advice.

Next: FAQ's