Transfer Student Newsletter: March 2019

Message from the Dean

I hope that you are well settled into your courses and are beginning to feel at home in the University. I'd like to get to know each of you in person, so if you have not already done so, please make an appointment to stop in for a visit. You do not need to have a problem or concern to come in, but if you do, please call me at (434) 924-3350.


Fall 2019 Course Selection

  • Beginning on March 25 advising and course enrollment for fall 2019 will occur.
  • Since conferring with a faculty advisor is central to the selection of courses, only those College students who consult with their faculty advisors will be able to participate in PRIORITY course selection for the spring. This means that those students who meet with their faculty advisors and have their advising holds removed prior to April 8th will enroll in fall courses earlier than those who wait.

Before your advising appointment, go to SIS, check your "academic requirements" page, and print a copy of your unofficial transcript to take with you to your meeting with your faculty advisor.

To Participate in Fall Course Selection:

  1. If you are a second-year student and have not yet declared a major, you need to schedule an appointment to meet with your faculty advisor between March 25 and April 8 to discuss your academic plans and progress. After that meeting your advisor will release your advising hold for fall course selection.
  2. If you have declared a major, you should follow the instructions provided by your major department. In general, students need to make an appointment to see their major faculty advisor between March 25 and April 8. If you are a third-year student who has not yet declared a major or completed a major deferral form, you should do so promptly. If you are unable to do so, please make an appointment to see me soon.

Before meeting with your advisor, you should consult the online Fall Schedule of Courses on SIS, available on or before March 15.

Many departments provide amplified course descriptions for the next semester. Check departmental offices or web sites for these helpful guides. Please bookmark your department's website, if you have not done so already. As you consider courses for the spring, be sure to attend to any remaining area requirements. Do not delay fulfilling CLAS requirements, especially the foreign language requirement. For more information, watch for course enrollment news at

While you must meet with your faculty advisor to have your advising hold lifted, you should also feel free to confer with me. I will be available for extended office hours to meet with you during the weeks of fall course selection. Please call (434) 924-3350 should you wish to schedule an appointment.

Finishing the Semester

The last half of the semester always flies by, and if you started with something less than your usual strong performance, you may be interested in the following.

  1. The withdrawal deadline is March 18. If you wish to withdraw from a class, you must complete the electronic withdrawal form available in SIS. If you wish to withdraw below 12 credits, you may do so after meeting with me and completing a petition detailing the reasons for your request. Reducing your course load below 12 credits will result in Academic Probation. You can read more about this College rule on the College's website. Requests to withdraw after March 14 will NOT be approved. (Reducing your course load below 12 credits does not usually affect financial aid. Contact the Financial Aid office if you have questions.)
  2. If you need additional help with your course work you should confer with your instructor. You may also try the following resources:


Join Us on Facebook

See our Facebook page at "UVa College of Arts and Sciences Transfer Student News and Info," as it contains transfer-related news and opportunities.


Loooking Ahead

  • Consider studying abroad. Contact the International Studies Office on the 2nd floor of Minor Hall. Nearly all transfer students find that they can fit in a study abroad term. You will find that Summer and J-term study abroad options are becoming increasingly popular.
  • Visit the University Career Center, 924-8900 (in the Carl Smith Center, Bryant Hall). After familiarizing yourself with the resources there, you should make an appointment to talk with one of the special advisors in UCS who work closely with College students.
  • If you are a second-year student, confer soon with the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the department(s) you are considering as a major. The names, phone numbers, and locations of these directors are on the last page of this newsletter. We ask you to declare your major before the end of this semester. Do not procrastinate initiating this process. If you are having difficulty deciding which way to turn, let me know and I will be glad to work with you to help you make your decision.
  • If you are feeling stressed about your courses or adjusting to U.Va., call the Smith Center for Counseling and Psychological Services at (434) 243-5150. They have a number of support groups as well as individual counseling and are located in the Elson Student Health Building. Consider asking them about the “strive and thrive” stress reduction series. Their services are confidential and free.

Also, besides offering a full menu of traditional services, the University of Virginia Library provides transfer students with access to the following resources and services:

  • Real-Time Reference; Got a question? Need help? Chat online with a librarian during the afternoons and evenings. This service is available anywhere, on or off grounds; just look for the green "Questions" button on Library pages, or connect directly at (When the service is closed, send an e-mail to , and librarians will respond to your query.)
  • Research Tutorials: Would you like personalized, in-depth help with a research project? Schedule a research tutorial to meet one-on-one with a librarian at
  • Digital Resources: The U.Va. Library has some of the finest digital resources available anywhere. Search databases and retrieve full-text articles from the comfort of your dorm room. Read a book online. Locate images of manuscripts, maps, and rare documents. Borrow a digital camera and use video-editing software in the Robertson Media Center ... and much, much more.
  • 24-Hour Study Facilities: Need a quiet place to study or space to work on a group project? By huge popular demand, Clemons Library remains open 24 hours a day, Monday to Thursday, and until Midnight on Friday and Saturday. For your safety and convenience, the Safe Ride escort van departs from Alderman Library every half hour, Sunday-Thursday nights from midnight - 6:00 a.m., Friday and Saturday from 2:30 a.m. - 6 a.m
  • The Library has many other services and resources to offer you; check out the Library home page ( for more information or simply ask! They will be happy to help you.

Area Requirements

Clarification of Requirements:

One course (including cross-listed courses such as AAS 1010 and HIAF 2003) may simultaneously meet NO MORE THAN TWO AREA REQUIREMENTS. It may also satisfy the Second Writing Requirement and/or count toward a first major, second major, or minor. Be sure to check your records carefully and if you have any questions contact the College Registrar's Office (106 Monroe Hall, 924-8867), or Dean Ozment.

Check the accuracy of your records on SIS. If you have any questions or concerns, consult the College Registrar, your advisor, or Dean Ozment.

Remember too that once you begin your studies here, you may not fulfill remaining area requirements with additional transfer credit. You must fulfill all remaining area requirements at U.Va. The only exception is that students may complete the foreign language requirement by studying the language in a country where that language is the native language.

Useful Links

Best of luck for the remainder of the semester.