In order to be considered enrolled at the University of Virginia, students must, by the stated deadlines:
- Be enrolled in classes
- Meet with relevant office to have all holds removed
- Pay all bills
Full Time, Reduced Course Load (Enrollment in Fewer Than 12 Credits)
Full-time students carrying fewer than 12 credits in the College of Arts and Sciences are considered to be carrying a reduced course load and will be placed on academic probation. Enrollment in fewer than 12 credits is permitted under extraordinary circumstances and only with the permission of the College of Arts & Sciences Dean’s Office.
Students in their final semester may appeal for a reduced course load without incurring Academic Probation (full tuition and fees will be applied).
Temporary Part-Time Status (Enrollment in Only One or Two Courses)
University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences students who wish to carry only one or two courses for a semester may do so with the permission of their dean. The following rules apply:
- Undergraduate students who have obtained such permission are restricted to taking a maximum of two courses for no more than 8 credits each semester.
- Students are limited to a maximum of 16 total credits taken as a part-time student.
- Part-time students are not eligible for Intermediate Honors or the College of Arts & Sciences Deans' List.
- To earn Good Standing part-time students must earn a 1.8 semester GPA.
- The application for part-time study must be received before the add deadline of the semester in which the request is being made.
- Tuition is charged per credit (no more than 2 classes/8 credits).
Permanent Part-Time Study
The University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences offers a very restricted and limited part-time degree program. Applicants are required to have completed two years of College undergraduate work at U.Va. However, we will also consider applications from UVA first- and second-year students whose personal circumstances warrant it.
Part-time undergraduate students are not eligible for Intermediate Honors or the College of Arts & Sciences Dean’s List. Their satisfactory progress is assessed on an individual basis, but they will receive an academic warning and may be subject to the College’s standard rules regarding academic suspension if their GPA falls below 1.8.
- Request for Part-Time Study (.pdf, 403KB)